Sunday, October 27, 2013

Harpoon UFO Pumpkin Ale

I know it's been far too long since my last post, but now I'm baaack! A big thanks goes out to my biggest fan Paul, for the encouragement and shaming, reminding me that I "smell and haven't been blogging lately."

Since the weather has gotten colder and we're fully into Fall, I thought I'd kick things off with a seasonal favorite. So let me gush about Harpoon's UFO Pumpkin Ale.



I've had a love affair with pumpkin ales since the moment I was brave enough to try "classy" beers beyond Miller Light. Each time I see a pumpkin beer on a menu at a restaurant, I have to try it. That's exactly how I came across this one. 

I was visiting my younger brother in Boston a few years ago, and he took me to a quaint little dive bar near his house. I saw Harpoon on the menu, and asked him if he'd had it before. "Yes, and it's awesome," he said, "If you don't try it, you're a moron." I was sold. The bartender served me my beer in a pint glass that was rimmed with sugar and had pumpkin pie spice sprinkled on the top. Whoa. This was serious business. After one sip, I was hooked. It was like drinking a pumpkin pie. The bartender just gave me a smug look, like he was thinking, "You stupid girl. Of course my pumpkin ale is the shiz. How dare you doubt me." Ah-maze-ing.  I had found my holy grail of pumpkin ales. 

When I returned to Chicago after my trip, I was sadly disappointed that none of the bars had it on tap like the one in Boston did. I also struggled to find it bottled at my favorite beer stores. After two years of searching, I kind of gave up on ever finding it in the Chicago area. 

On a random trip to Binny's last month, I thought I'd give it another shot, and asked the guy working the beer aisle if they carried it. He led me over to a bottom shelf and pulled out the last six pack, which was hiding behind all the fruity flavored beers! It was like a Christmas miracle! I finally had my pumpkin ale! All the others I had along the way just didn't live up to my Harpoon. 

If you are lucky enough to find a six pack of Harpoon's UFO Pumpkin Ale near you, here's how you properly prepare it for drinking, just like I had it in that dive bar in Boston. 

Let your beer properly chill overnight so that it's ice cold. Pour a little sugar in a small bowl or on a small plate.  White sugar works, but it's even better with Turbanado Raw Sugar because it has a deep, molasses flavor. Take a wet paper towel and wet the rim of a clean pint glass. Roll the rim in your sugar. Open your beer bottle and pour it straight down into the glass until the glass is half filled. Don't tilt the glass or any of that crazy business; pour straight down. You want the foam because it makes it extra delicious.

        

When the foam has gone down to about a quarter of its original height, pour the remainder of the beer straight down into the glass. Once again, let the foam dissipate to about a quarter of its original height. Now comes the best part. Sprinkle a dash of pumpkin pie spice on the top to just barely cover the foam. If you don't have the pre-made spice, a quick mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves will work, but mix them up and taste them before putting them on the beer in case you need to make any recipe adjustments. You don't want to ruin a perfectly good beer with a funky spice mix.

        


Harpoon's website has a beer finder so you can find Pumpkin Ale near you. I got a six pack at Binny's in Chicago for $8.99.

Please keep in mind that this drink is a perfectly acceptable substitute for dessert on Thanksgiving, since you're basically drinking a pumpkin pie. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back!

    AWESOME, the beer finder says there's some UFO Pumpkin 3.8 miles away from where I live. Gonna have to try this, although I'm hesitant about adding the spices. We'll see.

    Also, this is old, but seems like you might be interested in case you haven't seen it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtVcZCaJmDc

    ReplyDelete