Sunday, May 20, 2012

Frontera Taco Skillet Sauce


I'm a sucker for Mexican food. I could eat it every day. It's usually pretty easy to make, inexpensive to get the ingredients, and the simple flavors are amazing. The last time I was at the grocery store to get the fixings for my Mexican feast, I came across Frontera's Taco Skillet Sauce. It's a pre-made taco meat seasoning sauce. Since I already think of Frontera's founder, Chef Rick Bayless, as a culinary god, I figured I had to give it a try. There were several different flavors available, like chicken enchilada, key lime cilantro, and chipotle garlic. I opted for the classic Texas original flavor.


In a word, yum! While tacos are very easy to make in the first place, this cut the time down even more. First brown your mean, drain the fat, then pour in the sauce and let it simmer for about 5 minutes until warm. That's it! Build your taco from there. The taco sauce gives your restaurant quality taco flavor without much effort.

     

The taco sauce packets were reasonably priced, at about $3.50 each. This is a little more than the traditional dry taco seasoning mix, but it tastes waaaay better. I found it in the Mexican section of my local grocery store. Thank you Rick Bayless!

Now, if you're looking to save a few bucks and go the homemade route, I have a killer taco seasoning mix recipe for you that you can easily make out the the spices you already have in your cabinet. This is my normal go-to recipe for Mexican fiesta nights:

1 tbsp. chili powder
1.5 tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder or minced onions
1 tsp. paprika
.5 tsp. red pepper flakes
.5 tsp. cayenne pepper
.5 tsp. oregano
pinch of salt to taste
pinch of pepper to taste 

To really kick it up a notch, add a handful of diced fresh cilantro to the skillet. Enjoy your fiesta!


No comments:

Post a Comment